Thursday, December 11, 2008

Eat Smart for leaner, sexier Abs

If you want have leaner Abs - it's going to take some work - and sacrifices. For me the sacrifice comes in the form of donuts - and sugar filled sweets.

Somewhere in an old music store lies a CD ( more likely a vinyl album ) containing the memorable smash hit by Tommy James and the Shondelles - Sugar Sugar.

Yesterday I met the most interesting lady. She was watching no less than six preschool aged children - all playing on a public playground. I didn't count them all. She did have the help of her nine year old son. It took her ten minutes just to get them all loaded into her over-sized van and into their respective car seats. An amazing women might better describe this picture of patience. I would have a full head of gray hair and completely frazzled nerves had I even thought of attempting to care for so many precious little ones.

One little girl - I guessed to be the youngest - had the prettiest big eyes nestled into her lovely little face. My new acquaintance explained that she was in the process of adopting this quiet little Angel. She went on to say that she used to weigh more than other children in her age group - due to a lousy diet, laden with Sugar! This little gift from God had some behavioral issues as well - attributable in some part to a diet full of sugary drinks and foods. Changes to this little girls diet have resulted in the loss of five pounds and improved behavior.

This got me to wondering - What am I feeding my little boys? Earlier that morning, after dropping my oldest son off at school, I introduced his little brother to one of my favorite places - the local donut shop. Yes, "This is Living" I proudly explained to him as we both dived into our newly found treasure trove of sugary delights. Before we could navigate the two miles to our nearest discount store we had managed to polish off almost half of our dozen donuts. Washed down with some sweetened chocolate milk, of course.

One hour later after running through the massive bargain store I decided to get him out of there before we both went crazy. On our way home I found myself fighting with a perfectly normal and lovable little two year old over the merits of staying in his car seat. He was under the influence a classic sugar-rush. He didn't want to sit anywhere!

How can I impress upon my children the importance of eating healthy? Especially after a trip to our favorite donut shop?

The quickest way to lose weight - and keep it off - is twofold.

One - Stop eating junk that serves no nutritional purpose. Sugar and donuts fall into that category. Why are all the good things so bad for us?

Two - Start getting at least 30 minutes of good cardio exercise each day. Or at least five days a week.

Three - start exercising your stomach three days a week. Let the muscles rest between workouts Crunches, rowing machine, pull-ups, and squats. Get an exercise ball and do sit-ups on the ball. Then get out and run or walk for 30 minutes.

There are natural, healthy ways to lose that belly fat. The best way to lose that belly is with exercise and healthy eating!
Perhaps I'll ponder on this as I drink my morning coffee - with two scoops of sugar.

No comments: